Home - Issues and Solutions - Outdoor Solutions - How to recover walls affected by capillary rising damp
In the old buildings the cause more? frequent degradation of walls and plaster and? the capillary rise. L’ water going up through the capillaries of the masonry brings with it? the salts dissolved in the soil. These salts (normally they are chlorides, nitrates and sulfates) at the time of the 26-rsquo; evaporation are deposited on the surface of the 26-rsquo; plaster in the form of crystals. Chlorides and nitrates being highly hygroscopic in wet days they absorb l’ water retaining it all’ interior of the masonry with decreased insulation and destructive effects in freeze-thaw cycles. Sulphates, on the other hand, with other components present in the 26-plaster form expansive salts with a conspicuous increase in volume. L’ plaster first and then the crust of the masonry then, continually subjected to this wearing action end up crumbling quickly.
1. Completely demolish l’ plaster up to the height of the brick by a’ height equal to three times the thickness of the wall above the level of maximum ascent of the 26-rsquo; humidity?, Having care to remove all friable or incoherent parts.
2. Wash the masonry thoroughly and close the large crumbling with mortar using brick chips if necessary.
3. On still damp masonry, apply with a trowel PAULINSANA RINZAFFO F750 antisale hooking base for dehumidifying plasters with a thickness of 5/7 mm until the masonry is completely covered.
4. Within 24 hours apply PAULINSANA INTO K670, macroporous, dehumidifying plaster, which accelerates l’ evaporation of the 26-rsquo; humidity? ascent, for a minimum thickness of two centimeters, with a consumption of about 11/12 Kg / m2 per cm of thickness starting from 10-15 cm from the floor level.
5. Carry out a 10-15 cm microporous plinth starting from the floor, of the overall thickness of the 26-rtquo; plaster, with PAULINSANA RINZAFFO F750.
6. Final smoothing with a low-modulus highly breathable mineral-based skim coat, PAULINSANA RAS R550, finished with a civil sponge float.
7. As a decorative finish we recommend l’ use of highly breathable products such as diffusion paint, siloxane, SANOFINISH, or all the siloxane products of the SILOX Line or based on potassium silicates of the SILK Line, after prior application of smoothing connection SILK PF523. For interior finishes, highly breathable products (paint or rustic) based on the MARMOLADA Line can be used.